Marriage Laws

Requirements Between Mexicans Between Foreigners Between Foreigner and Mexican
Marriage request form x x x
Original and copy of birth certificates x x x
Original of prenuncial certificate with proof of not HIV and blood type issued less than 15 days previous to the wedding x x x
Agreement on property ownership x    
Copy of official photo IDs x   x
Both passports   x x
Proof of residence x    
If applicable, divorce or death certificate x x x
"Tourist card" issued at entry to Mexican territory   x  
Original and copy of official IDs of witnesses (4) x x x
Foreigners who marry in Mexico must legalize their union in their country of residence   x x
Permission from the Immigration Office for a foreigner to get married     x


All documents, except the passort, must be apostilled by the authorities of the country where they were issued if not Mexico. Birth certificates must be translated into Spanish by a certified translator.

The wedding coordinator usually arranges a copy of the marriage license to you immediately after the ceremony. The translated, final license –that is valid as legal internationally (recognized as valid in the U.S.) for example- would be mailed to you within one and a half to four months of the wedding.

Please note that if you have been divorced you will need to wait at least one year before remarrying.

Please also consider that if time is too limited to comply with formalities, you can have definitely a beautiful symbolic wedding by all means.


For more ideas on Destination Weddings visit MarryCaribbean on Pinterest:
Follow Marry Caribbean’s board Destination Weddings on Pinterest.